Fold Up Pool Table

fold up pool table

    pool table
  • game equipment consisting of a heavy table on which pool is played

  • A billiard table or billiards table (or more specifically a pool table or snooker table) is a bounded table on which billiards-type games (cue sports) are played.

  • a rectangular table with cushions bounding the playing area and six pockets. Regulation size is 4 1/2i x 9i.

    fold up
  • fold: become folded or folded up; "The bed folds in a jiffy"

  • fold: bend or lay so that one part covers the other; "fold up the newspaper"; "turn up your collar"

Eldred Rock Lighthouse (1 of 3)

Eldred Rock Lighthouse (1 of 3)

Hurricane winds, estimated at ninety miles per hour, were howling down narrow Lynn Canal as the Clara Nevada started her multi-day journey from Skagway to Seattle. It was February 5th, 1898, near the peak of the Alaskan gold rush, and the three-masted passenger ship was loaded with over 800 pounds of the prized mineral, an illegal shipment of dynamite, and some one hundred passengers, including more than one frustrated fortune seeker. Just over thirty miles into her southward voyage, the ship ran aground at Eldred Rock and exploded into flames.

The remains of the Clara Nevada are now a popular dive site, but oddly no trace of gold has ever been discovered in the wreckage. According to the initial report, all passengers and crew members on board the vessel that evening perished. However, weeks after the accident, a skiff belonging to the ship was found hidden in a grove of trees on the mainland. A few members of the crew likely escaped the disaster that night, as it was later discovered that C. H. Lewis, captain of the Clara Nevada, had resumed his profession on riverboats in Alaska’s interior and that the ship’s fireman was subsequently employed in Nome’s gold fields.

Whether the loss of the Clara Nevada was an accident or an act of sabotage may never be known, but Congress viewed the incident as sufficient evidence that a lighthouse on Eldred Rock was needed. The Lighthouse Board approved plans for the lighthouse in May 1905 and hoped that hired labor could have the design completed before November and the coming of harsh winter weather. Mother nature, however, did not cooperate, and the lighthouse was not activated until June 1, 1906, making it the last of the ten lighthouses constructed in Alaska between 1902 and 1906.

Like many of the early northern lights, the Eldred Rock Lighthouse consisted of an octagonal tower protruding from the center of an octagonal building with a sloping roof. The building at Eldred Rock, however, was markedly larger than the others and had two stories instead of one. The bottom story was built of concrete, while the second story and tower were wood. Perhaps it was this solid foundation that has allowed the Eldred Rock Lighthouse to survive for over a hundred years, while all of its Alaskan contemporaries were replaced with stouter structures after just a few decades of service.

The lighthouse provided ample living space for the keepers as well as a noisy neighbor, a first class fog signal. A wooden boathouse and tramway were also part of the 2.4-acre lighthouse reservation and were built just north of the lighthouse.

A fourth-order Fresnel lens was placed in the lantern room, near the top of the fifty-six foot lighthouse, at a focal plane of ninety-one feet. This unique lens, crafted in Paris by Barbier, Benard & Turenne, consists of two bull’s-eye panels – one about four feet in diameter and the opposing one a smaller, 14-inch panel. A sheet of red glass was placed between the light source and the larger prism, causing the revolving lens to produce alternating red and white flashes.

On May 14, 1906, a letter was sent from the office of the district inspector to Nils Peter Adamson, assistant keeper of the Desdamona Sands Lighthouse on the Columbia River, directing him “to proceed to Eldred Rock, Alaska, Light Station and take charge of that station as Keeper.” Adamson was ordered to make no unnecessary delay as the light and fog signal were scheduled to begin operation in just over two weeks. Head Keeper Adamson reached the station in time, and with his two assistants took up residence on the tiny island.

On the evening of March 12, 1908, a violent gale struck Eldred Rock. When assistant keeper Currie ventured out of the lighthouse the next morning, to his astonishment he saw a ship stranded on the northern end of the island. The powerful storm had brought the Clara Nevada up from her watery grave, just days after the tenth anniversary of her sinking. Keeper Currie didn’t have much time to examine the resurrected vessel for the storm picked up again that evening, returning the ship to the bottom of the canal.

On February 26, 1910, the two assistant keepers at Eldred Rock, Currie and Selander, set out in the station’s launch for Point Sherman. With light snow falling, the assistants left Point Sherman at about 4 p.m. the following day for the return. When his assistants hadn't shown up at Eldred Rock after an absence of three days, Adamson rowed out to the Justina Gray to put out notice of the overdue men. Two days later, the station's missing launch was located “with all gear gone excepting mast, sail & anchor.” Adamson, who was tormented by the presumed drowning of his assistants, later wrote: “I myself am unable to account for any accident that could have happened to them as there was no wind to speak of and a smooth sea & in my opinion they should have reached home easily by 8 p.m., though they had an ebb tide to contend with.”

For a mon

Christ Church Hanham BS15

Christ Church Hanham BS15

Postcard is of Christ Church, Hanham, Sunday School banner.

Marked to back of card is - Almost Certainly Mr Short, father of Grantley Short.

(date unknown)

(any information please)

Life in Hanham and Mount Hill after the General Strike of 1926

One month after the Hanham Pit was closed, a General Strike was called protesting at pay and working conditions in the country as a whole. Jack Bateman tells of the impact of the strike in Hanham, and of the relief when it was over:

Before the strike, the atmosphere was gloom. Men stood about on street corners, hands in their pockets, shoulders drooped, shoes or boots unlaced, no interest in anything. Women in long black dresses looked for work scrubbing stone floors and collecting sticks for the fire. There was no gas or electricity in those days; they hung around the coal tip picking up small coal that fell from the pit head.

Men came over from South Wales in small groups, about four to six in number. They walked the High Street in the gutter in single file, singing. The last one had his cap in his hand, hoping for a few coppers to get a pint. Things were much worse in Wales than in Hanham.

My mother, by today's standards, was an intellectual. She took me to hear breakaway preachers who were speaking in Crew's Hole or Conham Valley, denouncing the conditions. They could not do this openly or they would upset the Church. They carried their pulpits with them. These were wooden fold-up affairs, like a painter and decorator's steps two steps up and a flat top. It was very left-wing, against the bosses who wielded such power over their workers. Although he spread the 'cloth' on his makeshift pulpit, he was not recognised by the Church.

Harry Pollitt was a labour spokesman, leader of the strike and very left-wing. My mother, sister and I went on the tram car to the Downs at Blackboy Hill. Hundreds of people were there. Police on horseback broke up the meeting. The police riders had spikes on their helmets, the horses had a spike in their Blaze head-harness.

Factories began to open with invitations for the men to return to work at Kleen-e-ze, Douglas, the motorcycle manufacturers, the quarries and the mines. The rivulets of prosperity overflowed into the back lanes of Hanham. Women left the drudgery of the big houses where they were employed as skivvies. Signs went up in their windows; 'Poultry cleaned and dressed ready for the table', 'Harness made of leather for goat and dog carts', 'Silk Dress Hats', 'Bridal Outfits', 'Pickled walnuts, chutney'.

The village had become free. The strike had produced great politicians and Church leaders, household names today. Everywhere buzzed with an excitement that was to be short-lived.

Personally, I was doing well after school. I went strawberry minding, driving the birds off the fruit. I used a rattle or two empty biscuit tins. I brought my first cycle from Halfords at one shilling and three pence a week. Later I changed my job for more money. I bought a two-stroke Francis Barnet at Five shillings a week. Hanham was booming.

The ladies got rid of their black dresses for silk and cottons. The men had more money and better living standards. Gone were those depressing years.
'Death at an Early Age'
Shoemaking and Quarrying'

Whilst the miners lost their livelihoods, other sets of workers were precariously holding on to theirs


There were numerous manufacturers in Hanham, the main one was the Empire Boot and Shoe Manufacturers. This was situated in Ansteys Lane. At the top of Church Road was George Cook, while in Lower Hanham Road was Godfrey and Gover. In Beaver Lane (now part of Anstey Road) was a factory.

This over a period of years was occupied by numerous manufacturers who were engaged in the manufacture of carpet slippers or, as the old people of the time called them, bedroom slippers. On closing they were called Taylors, who later moved to Kingswood. Another was Linthorne, who had a factory at the rear of what is now Bryan Brothers Garage; this building was later used by the Territorial Army (Army Reserve), as a drill hall.

The supply of leather came from Bristol. At this time there were many tanneries in the city because of the supply of hides, many of which came into the docks from India and Africa.

The workers in the shoe trade were mainly in two groups, 'In workers' in the factory, and 'Out workers', who collected prepared material and made up shoes at home. The 'In-workers' were mainly Clickers who cut the raw material by a pattern, and the Machinists who were engaged in sewing the uppers.

This prepared material was then taken by the 'Out workers' for making up at home. Most of these people had a small workshop at the rear of the house, but some worked in the scullery, and a few worked in the living quarters.

The pay was small and consequently men very often worked a 12-hour day, and after dark the light was from a small paraffin lamp. In many cases the wife helped out, and sometimes

fold up pool table

Similar posts:

solid wooden table

sheesham coffee table

trunks as coffee tables

childrens folding picnic table

extendable dining room table

rectangle kitchen tables

classic dining room table

metro pub dining bar table

rectangle wedding tables

black end tables with storage

Category: None